Nice Table Manners, Please…
You have a right to:
- Be treated with respect and not be yelled at
- Work in a safe, sheltering environment
- Work normal hours, have a vacation
- Be properly mentored
- Know what is going on in the lab
- Be protected by the PI from anyone who may maltreat you
- Receive help when needed
- Receive appropriate credit for the data you generated
I expect that you will:
- Tell me what I NEED to know, not what I WANT to hear
- Work hard 8 hours on workdays
- Plan your experiments appropriately
- Learn from your mistakes
- Respect all University rules and regulations
- Respect your co-workers and the PI
- I can provide you advice, mentoring, materials, resources and a safe, happy environment. But I can’t provide you motivation. If you don’t have it by now, you will never have it. Find a different life path.
- The only person who makes no mistakes is the one who does nothing.
- Don’t rely on your memory – write it down, otherwise, it doesn’t exists.
- Understand WHAT, HOW and WHY before you start doing anything.
- If you do not learn from your mistakes, you are A) stupid, B) incompetent or C) you don’t care. Either way, please, go away.
- Don’t change the *&^% protocol that is flawlessly working.
- The PI has a right and obligation to know what is going on in the lab.
- We are not in a business of wishful thinking.
- Don’t waste material, reagents or time.
- Don’t be a slob – others will hate you, and it will get you fired.
- We depend on each other – we all rise or fall together.